Welcome back! This week’s lesson consisted of our prep work for our group assignment as well as yet another indesign practice to master the basics and fundamentals of Indesign! This practice allowed me to familiarise with the various text tools indesign has. Upon achieving the skill of the various tools used in this, I should be able to do my group project without any issues.
This practice tests my newly adopted skills from the previous lesson, which is paragraphing and character styles! as said before, no matter how interesting your article may be, a boring interface would be an extreme turn off to most readers!!
So, as usual, here is a step-by-step process from start to finish of this exercise! 🙂
Before i start, let me just show you the 2 min icons that i will be using in this exercise. The font size icon, and the text colour icon. They are both circled in red ink for easier reference.
Coming up with the various paragraphs and having the placeholder text included is nothing new, but i feel that i should document this part because it includes the alteration of a singular letter so as to have a prominent and strong start to the paragraph itself. The size of the first letter can be altered under the “paragraph” tab. The size is altered on the bottom left icon of the tab!
Now with the letter “B” done up, i am able to move on to the next step which is to create 2 columns out, and then filling them up with texts. Again, this is nothing new. All one has to do to create the 2 columns is to press on the right arrow key WITHOUT LETTING GO OF THE KEY, once you have dragged out the text box to the desired size.
Alright, now that i’m done with the right page, its time to move on to the left!
Now moving on to the very first letter on the page, the letter “G”! For the letter G, I chose the font size 1000 in order for it to be that big. The colour can be altered by clicking on the text colour icon i mentioned in the beginning of this post!
Moving on! I added a “Goudy” word beside the gigantic G. The word “Goudy” is the main focus of this magazine spread, hence it has to be prominent and stand out from the texts on the right! For the letter “G” in “Goudy” I used the font size 200, while i used only 150 for the rest of the letters.
In my opinion, i feel that this part was the most challenging for me. Firstly, one has to individually alter the sizes as well as the colours of each letter. Not only that, when arranging the graphical elements, you would have to select the various different elements and either send them back or bring them forward, making it very tedious. But it was great experience and i learned a lot from this exercise!!
After the alterations of the sizing and arranging the graphical elements, here is the final product! it was a tedious exercise but i definitely enjoyed doing it! 🙂